Have you ever thought about having a strong chemical peel done by your dermatologist?
Have you heard about acid peels but never taken the time to find out more?
Are you interested in the Jessner peel but aren’t sure how to manage your skin after such an intensive treatment?
If any of this is true of you, then you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll walk you through what the Jessner peel is and what the procedure is like, as well as the Jessner peel aftercare you need to keep in mind before you ever bring up this possibility with your dermatologist.
You may find that, on reading this information, the aftercare sounds like too much to keep up with. If this is the case, be sure you talk about alternative treatments with your skin care specialist instead.
To learn more about what to expect with the Jessner peel, read on.
The Jessner Peel Procedure
The procedure is a very simple one, but it must be performed by a dermatologist or a skin care specialist. You will be instructed on how to care for your skin for up to a week prior to the treatment, so be sure you follow these directions carefully to ensure the best possible results.
When you arrive for your treatment, you’ll be given anesthesia and the treatment will commence. It does not take more than about an hour to complete this procedure.
Jessner Peel Aftercare:
After the procedure...
- Do not put anything on your face for 1 hour. It’s very important to keep your face clean and free of anything that could cause irritation or clog your pores after the treatment. This includes water—do not wash your face or do anything to it for an hour.
- Avoid aloe. Although you may be very tempted to put aloe on your face while it’s burning and stinging after your treatment, avoid this for the first few hours—or longer, depending on what your dermatologist has told you. Aloe will have the same effect as other types of skin care products, and it will clog your pores and make your skin irritated while rendering your peel ineffective.
- Avoid the sun. This is the most important step. Do not get out in the sun after the procedure for the first few hours and stay out of the sun for up to several days afterward, too. Even just a little bit of sun can seriously damage your sensitive skin after you’ve gone through an intensive chemical peel like this one.
Within 24 hours...
- Do not get water on your face. You will need to continue not washing your face for the first 24 hours after the procedure. This will allow the peel o work properly and will also keep your skin from becoming too damaged by the overall process.
- Do not use makeup at all. You should not put any makeup on your face at all for at least 24 hours after the procedure. Your dermatologist may recommend avoiding makeup for longer than 24 hours, but this is the minimum.
- Keep sunscreen on your face. You should either be given or recommended a gentle sunscreen that won’t harm your face, and you should start using it after 24 hours. This will help you protect your sensitive skin while it’s healing from the chemical peel. Be sure you use the right type of sunscreen to avoid further skin irritation.
Within 3 days...
- Do not pick your skin. It’s very tempting to pick your skin as it’s peeling, but doing this will cause superficial scarring and you’ll end up needing even more treatments in the future to get rid of this. Do yourself a favor and keep your hands away from your face as it heals.
- Continue staying out of the sun. You should keep using your sunscreen any time you need to be out in the sun for any reason (even just walking out to your car), but try to stay out of the sun as much as possible for the first few days.
- Do not purposefully make yourself sweat. Yes, you’re going to sweat sometimes, and this is fine and normal. However, try to stay away from situations where you will be sweating on purpose, such as working out, for the first few days after your peel. Too much sweating will be bad for your skin as it heals from the peel.
Within a week...
- Do not exfoliate your skin. Don’t use any products on your face that are designed for exfoliation, and do not scrub your face with any brushes or pads that are made for exfoliation either.
- When your skin is done peeling, get back to your usual skin care treatment. This should take about a week, at which time you can return to your treatment as usual and continue working on your skin the same way you always have.
- When your skin is done peeling, men may shave and women may use makeup again. Do not do this until your skin has completely finished peeling, however, or you may end up causing much more damage in the long run and requiring even more future chemical peels to treat the new problems.
What is a Jessner Peel?
***REDUCE face lines and wrinkles by over 46% in less than a minute - Eye Secrets 1 Minute Lift cream gives an instant lift without side effects. Enjoy the benefits for 10-12 hours!
The Jessner Peel is a specific type of chemical peel designed to be powerful
and get the job done fast. This peel contains a type of acid chemical known as Jessner’s solution, which is applied to the face and left for a specific period of time depending on the type of problem you’re treating and the severity of the issue.
Once the chemical is removed, the top layer of your skin peels away and the skin beneath is encouraged to grow strong and healthy. The end result will make you look youthful, vibrant, and free of many of your superficial skin conditions as well.
As you can see, the Jessner peel is an intensive treatment that may not work well for everyone. It’s designed to help strip away the outer layer of skin and leave your face looking refreshed and revitalized. However, some people do not have great results with this treatment because of how intense it is, and others may not be able to keep up with the aftercare required to ensure a safe and healthy recovery from the peel.
In the end, the choice is entirely up to you and your dermatologist. Just make sure that, if you do go through with the Jessner peel, you are committed to taking proper care of your skin afterward to ensure it heals properly and looks as great as you want it to.